Provo, Utah, June:
- Received a grant to start an after-school theatre project for children with autism. Clear Horizons Academy and The Hale Center Theatre are combining efforts to forward the work. (My roomie Jen and I danced our "God is Good" Dance for a very long time.) Learned about the power of prayer, hard work, good people, and a cause.
- Met Tracy Golden and we began our adventures together. Threw together "Stories of Autism" and our first version entitled "Life, Love, and Autism." Dear friends and new friends gathered to support us and give us feedback on the performance. Learned about empathy, perspectives, love, and life.
Salt Lake City, Utah, June:
- Started rehearsals for "The Nauvoo Pageant." Reconnected with beloved friends and made new ones. Dear ones supported the rehearsals, captured me for lunch, and excused my leaving in a lurch. Started learning humility, love, patience, and trust.
Nauvoo, Illinois (and surrounding towns), June/July/August:
- GAAA!!! No words, but obviously I'm about to try...
- Performed in the Nauvoo Pageant and vignettes about the Relief Society. I was honored to portray and learn from Sister Eliza Roxcy Snow.
- Associated with, learned from, and taught out-of-this-world families. Made dear friends for life.
- Shared the Gospel of Jesus Christ with people from all over the world.
- Felt angels daily.
- Re-learned that I have a Father in Heaven who loves me, to trust myself and the spirit, that the veil is thin, more about my spiritual gifts, that Joseph Smith is a prophet, that the temple is what it is all about, that youth are amazing, how to drink lots of water and electrolytes, and much more.
Chicago, Illinois, August:
- Adventured in this glorious city of reflective light with a sister and friend. Learned: I want to be a bucket-filler, I love the parts of earth where sky and water and land all meet, every temple is special.
San Francisco, California, August:
- Played and relaxed with grandparents.
- Caught up with dear old friends. (and stood where Humphrey the Whale passed by!)
- Gloried in the sunlight and bay and rolling hills while driving in a stick-shift with the windows down.
- Learned that I love all of the above.
Tahoe, California, August:
- Sweet time with mom and sister playing in the lake and water-coloring.
- Learned: I love them and once again, that part of the earth where the sky and the water and land all meet.
Loomis, California, August:
- Attended a sweet lady's wedding and caught up with forever friends. Learned: people are placed in our paths to teach us, even if for 3 minutes.
Austin, Texas, August:
- Flew with a dear friend to another dear friend's wedding.
- Learned that marriage is sweet and grounding, that the Lord places us where we need to be and will whisper to us what we need to do.
Denver, Colorado, August:
- Attended a workshop at DU on Suzuki and Viewpoints Training.
- Adventured around Denver and met wonderful and giving people.
- Learned about the essence of performance, what my path as an artist is starting to look like, that all things work out (even couches to sleep on for a week), and that God is in the details.
And home again, home again (with a jiggidy jig) to ...
Provo, Utah, September:
- Spent time with family in Park City before they take off on their adventure around the world.
- Started buckling down on "Bridges Theatre Project: Theatre for Communities with Autism" (what we received the grant for).
- Started work with a dear friend on a piece of theatre called "Women of Faith" that will be incredible.
- Am meeting new wonderful people and reconnecting with dear friends. (Have I not with you yet? Let's do it soon. Call me. Beep me. Reach me.)
- Learned: how to breathe again (and again and again), that I'm choosing to simplify my life (and subsequently, my standard of living), that I missed my students, that I love my family and love having some of them in Provo now, that I'm grateful for good friends, and that every day is a glorious struggle of the primary lesson of trying to be like Jesus.
I wish I had the will-power to mention everyone by name right now. Thank you to all who shared their love with me this summer. I am more of who I am because of you. You are in my books in heaven of those whom I will skip and leap to thank.